Sunday, January 8, 2012

What Makes Us Feel Loved

Recently, I had the unfortunate luck of getting sick with a nasty cold. Like most people I did all the right things. Kept warm, went to bed early to get extra sleep, took echinacea tea, and more vitamin C than one can imagine. Yet, it was the hug from my ten year old daughter that made me feel truly loved. The power of the human touch is powerful, and her sweet words of "mommy, I love you" made me heal more than any medicine ever could.

By contrast, my husband, Mark, grew up in a family where your physical needs were met if you were sick but distance was kept until one felt better. If he gets sick, he goes to bed and you will see him when he emerges from his illness. We can write this off to the difference between men and women, or we can say that some people need more touch and emotion than others. Either way, honoring the person is important.

I would urge all of you to let the ones you love know what you need when you aren't feeling well. If you have a family member with a chronic condition, let your friends know what will help you to cope. We are not invincible. We are Spirits having a "human experience. "

As for me, tea, touch/hug, and an I love you very much will do.  How about you? What do you need from family and friends? Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment